Friday, February 3, 2012

Rise fall and Rise of josh hamilton( A true life article )

Josh Hamilton was the first overall pick in the 1999 Major League Baseball draft by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, receiving a $3.96 million signing bonus.  He was an unlikely candidate for a future drug addict; unfortunately, adversity struck his life and young career in the form of numerous injuries.  In 2001, he was involved in a car accident that placed him on injured reserve.  In his first three seasons, he missed a total of two hundred and thirty-six games because of injuries.  During this time he self-medicated with the destructive coping mechanisms of drugs and alcohol.  As a result, Hamilton tested positive for substance abuse, was suspended, and put into a treatment program.
However, this did not stop his addictive behavior.  In 2004, Major League Baseball suspended him indefinitely for violating the joint drug treatment and prevention program.  At this point he had become a full blown addict, the substance abuse that initially begun while he was trying to cope with the injuries that stalled his promising career had become the agent of his career destruction.  His depression worsened.  Finally in 2005, he hit rock bottom, waking up on his grandmother’s doorstep after what would be his final crack cocaine binge.  Hamilton had experienced a gigantic setback and his future was very dim.
He chose a road that led to recovery and his comeback in baseball.  In an ESPN article about his story he describes his comeback as, “it’s a God thing.  It’s the only possible explanation.”  In that same article he describes two dreams that encompass his journey back from addiction.
“I was fighting the devil, an awful-looking thing.  I had a stick or a bat or something and every time I hit the devil, he’d fall and get back up.  Over and over I hit him, until I was exhausted and he was still standing.
I woke up in a sweat, as if I’d been truly fighting and the terror that gripped me makes that dream feel real to this day.  I’d been alone for so long, alone with the fears and emotions I worked so hard to kill.  I’m not embarrassed to admit that after I woke up that night, I walked down the hall to my grandmother’s room and crawled under the covers with her.  The devil stayed out of my dreams for seven months after that.  I stayed clean and worked hard and tried to put my marriage and my life back together.  I got word in June 2006 that I’d been reinstated by Major League Baseball and a few weeks afterward, the devil reappeared.
It was the same dream with an important difference.  I would hit him and he would bounce back up, the ugliest and most hideous creature you could imagine.  This devil seemed unbeatable; I couldn’t knock him out.  But just when I felt like giving up, I felt a presence by my side. I turned my head and saw Jesus, battling alongside me. We kept fighting and I was filled with strength.  The devil didn’t stand a chance.
You can doubt me, but I swear to you I dreamed it.  When I woke up, I felt at peace.  I wasn’t scared.  To me, the lesson was obvious: Alone, I couldn’t win this battle.  With Jesus, I couldn’t lose.”
His reinstatement was just the beginning of his remarkable comeback.  In 2008 he was selected to his first All Star team, where he also participated in the Home Run Derby, setting an opening round record of 28 home runs and finishing with the second most home runs of all time in Derby history with 35.
His Home Run Derby explosion introduced Josh to the public in a big way furthering his comeback.  He has been selected to the All Star team for three straight years (2009-2011).  In 2010, he won several single season honors in the American League including the Batting Title, ALCS MVP and most impressively MVP of the entire American League.  The man who almost lost his life and career to addiction has now become one of baseball’s biggest stars.  In addition to his personal success, he has led the Texas Rangers, who had never won an American League pennant, to the past two American League pennants and World Series appearances (2010-2011).  The comeback is still continuing with Josh and only in time will his full success be known.

No comments: